The Blog

Thoughts, Stories and Adventures from Transformation City Church.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

991

There were 3 kinds of chips, 4 kinds of dip, 5 kinds of vegetables and some kind of nut mixture. Which was kind of ridiculous, considering the meal was yet to come.

People hovered around the table like hummingbirds, dipping into this and that. “That’s hummus,” I enlightened a cousin who was contemplating it, “It’s got olives – you’ll like it, you’re Italian. Well, I mean, it’s Middle-eastern, but whatever.” After delivering that bonbon of a bon mot (funny outside, foolish inside), I strolled to the beverage table.

There were 3 kinds of wine, 3 kinds of beer and 4 kinds of soda. Which was kind of ridiculous, considering wine was the only one worth drinking.

“Hey, Ben,” another cousin began, after a swig of beer, “where are you living now? Your dad mentioned something a few months ago about you living – ”

“In the ghetto,” I sang.

“Right,” he chuckled, “how is that?”

“Well, the other day some kids beat my car with a bat,” I smiled, raising my glass to the kids.

“Really?” He murmured.

“Really,” I repeated. “They probably think they’re the 99% and we’re the 1%.” I gulped some wine and looked into the half-full glass. “They’re probably right.”

8 comments:

  1. I look forward to unravelling the layers of meaning here during a car ride to Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Finish! It really is all relative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reminded of you every time I look out the window (here at The Mish') and see the ever-diminishing remnant of white plastic grocery bag trapped in the barbed wire - "urban tumbleweed" as you informed me. Never have forgotten that, because it is just so apt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for another great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm. Yours sounds a bit like mine, though without the bats or olives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the second time in a row that your words have influenced a decision I've made within 24 hours of reading them. Good work and thanks for your honesty. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you used hummus as inspiration, and I love that I overheard some of this conversation, and I love how you challenge me to think deeply about things, and I love, well, you.

    Oh, and I love that Dad made a pun without realizing it. Or maybe he did... :>

    ReplyDelete
  8. This last entry hit me like the opening of a J. D. Salinger short story... which is a compliment, unless you don't like J. D. Salinger... but I do.

    ReplyDelete