The Blog

Thoughts, Stories and Adventures from Transformation City Church.

Monday, October 3, 2011

All For One

That afternoon, the intersection of North and Fond Du Lac Avenues was busy being the busiest intersection in Milwaukee. Everyone was Pooh with their head in the bee hive, selfish selfish selfish and stupid stupid stupid.

In the crosswalk, there was a man wearing a Packers jersey, a floral scarf on his head and carrying a single plastic white hanger. Each footstep seemed a philosophical statement: No one cares, therefore I do not care. No one honked, no one looked, no one pointed. To us he was a human construction barrel, to be avoided.

As I turned, there was a woman standing by the bus stop, not waiting for the bus. The combination of her clothes – or what was left of them – suggested a costume. I wanted to give her a ride, but I realized that might be misinterpreted by her, and the police.

Further down the street, a young couple waited to cross. She held the child like a bag of groceries and he stood five feet away like he didn’t know them. The smoke from his cigarette slipped into my cracked window.

I looked into the rear view mirror and a pair of narrowed eyes looked back. I rubbed the gunk from the corners. I looked away. I looked ahead.

When I arrived at the community house, it was time for Bible Club. A boy gripped my arm like it was a branch hanging over a rushing river. “What do you think God looks like?” Asked Kevin. “He’s a yellow spirit,” Shouted one kid. “I bet He’s got big sandals,” Shouted a second. The third was so quiet Kevin had to repeat it for us: “Maybe He looks like all of us put together.”

7 comments:

  1. A piece of poetry and a painting.Thanks Ben. Ahh I love our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I needed something to get me through the day! I realize how grateful I am after reading what you write (TALENTED beyond belief) I thank God for where I am and where he is in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's lovely. What a wise little boy. I'm glad you're around to record his words, and to remind us that the face of Christ is everywhere. And you're so much more poetic than Chris Rice. :>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wise minds in such little bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Ben. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete